I don’t know what the weather is like where you are…but here it is a BEAUTIFUL Earth Day! Spring is definately in the air and as I marvel at all God has created this day (and every day!) I wanted to share some great ways to take care of the planet we all call home.
1. Recycle – that’s the obvious one! Some ways we recycle : Give away clothes we have outgrown, Pass along Magazine that we have read, Use empty cans and other containers for craft projects, buy eco-friendly refills for hand-soap (smaller packaging)…what are some ways you recycle?
- Good Rule to Remember: REUSE before you RECYCLE ; don’t just automatically take everything to the recycle bins…figure out what else you can do with recyclables first!
2. Reuseable Shopping Bags – I’ve taken to using these in the last several months and LOVE them! Not only do they help the environment; they also hold more and are more durable than plastic.
- Interesting Fact : Worldwide, an estimated 4 billion plastic bags end up as litter each year. Tied end to end that’s enough to circle the earth 63 times.
3. Buy live Christmas Trees – something we started 2 years ago. We bought a little baby everygreen tree with the root ball still intact, decorated it, kept the roots wet and set it outside the week after Christmas. In another week or so , my husband will plant it in the backyard! The kids love this idea and it is helping us make a hedgerow of sorts along the back of our property.
4. Grow your own food – it’s Spring and Spring means gardens! If it grows in the ground or on a tree and you eat it…grow it yourself! When it’s time to harvest, get the family involved in “putting up” your fruits and veggies for the winter! How is this Earth Friendly? Most likely, you won’t use pesticides and you won’t have cans because you will be using glass jars for almost everything! Have you thought about what to plant this year?
How about some other websites celebrating today:
Tiny Prints – lots of “green” ideas for the day
Deal Seeking Mom – freebies & a giveaway
Coupon Cravings – HUGE giveaway
If I come across any more, I’ll add them to the list! Have a Happy Earth Day!