I can’t remember the last time I made boxed Mac & Cheese…this is so simple & delicious!
Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (or other macaroni shapes)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (the fine ground kind)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions ; drain and set aside
- Make a Roux : melt butter in dutch oven over medium heat, mix flour and seasonings in small dish, add all at once to melted butter and stir…this will be thick! Add milk, a little at a time and stir until smooth. It will clump at first, but keep stirring and adding milk 2 tablespoons or so at a time. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted
- Stir in cooked macaroni and transfer into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 350 until thick and bubbly around edges…about 20 minutes.
- Let cook 5 minutes before serving