This is a totally new recipe for our family. The “L” is for Leeks! I’ll let you know how we like it after I actually make it…
**added 12/4/08** While the two youngest (very picky eaters) didn’t want anything to do with this…the rest of us thought it was great. Well, actually…my oldest and I thought it was awesome. Ben hasn’t tried it yet, but he’ll have it for lunch tomorrow.
- 5 cups water
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 oz shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 lb uncooked cellentani or cavatappi pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 large leek (white & lt. green portion only)
- 3 large plum tomatoes
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot
- Meanwhile, slice bacon crosswise into thin strips. Cook until crisp ; drain on paper towel
- Add pasta, cheeses, salt and pepper to boiling water. Cover and simmer vigorously for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While pasta cooks ; slice leek in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Rinse in a bowl of cold water. Lift leeks out of water and stir into past mixture. Cook, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or unitl pasta is cooked to desired tenderness and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove core and seeds from tomato and dice. Set aside 1/4 cup for garnish. Remove stockpot from heat; stir in tomatoes and half of the bacon. Spoon mixture into serving bowl and garnish with remaining tomatoes and bacon. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
*You can also add cooked diced chicken for a more filling dish!